Friday is a day for celebration around here. And in our house that has meant just one thing, Pizza on Friday. (oh the cuteness when little Ewan runs around screaming this as loudly as he can on Friday morning)
We’ve been having pizza on Friday, homemade most weeks, since we moved back to the States nearly two years ago. It’s been fun eating and experimenting week-by-week.
With the arrival of Summer, we’ve come to add another element to our weekly celebration.
Ice cream. Homemade ice cream. (Not to worry, we usually have a salad or some other veg to accommodate an otherwise unhealthy meal)
We’ve had a mango sherbet, beer cardamom, and this past week, a strawberry cheesecake version of my own devising.
I’m telling you about it today so that you can get out and get the ingredients to start your own ice cream Friday. Once you see the pictures, I know you’ll want to.
See, I told you. And the picture doesn’t lie. It really is that good.
Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Start by slicing the strawberries into a bowl.
- Add the 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla. Stir.
- Put the strawberries in the refrigerator and wait at least an hour before proceeding (the strawberries need a little time to make some juice).
- In a medium-sized bowl, put the softened cream cheese. Now, if you’re like me and don’t want to wait for the cheese to soften you can put it in the microwave to speed it along. About 25 seconds did the trick for me.
- Mix the softened cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar together.
- Slowly add in the whipping cream. Stirring with each small addition to prevent lumps of cream cheese from forming.
- Do the same with the milk as you did with the whipping cream.
- Grab those strawberries and pour the juice from them into your ice cream mixture.
- Once you have the mixture all set to go, put it inside your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions.
- You’ll probably have to put the ice cream into the freezer to harden a bit. When you’re ready to serve, scoop some of the ice cream into a small dish and top with the fresh strawberries and any leftover sauce.
Super delicious, right?! Yeah, I told you it would be…